Are you into affirmations? Many of us are or have tried them. Affirmations work best with repetition. We need to repeat our positive statements over and over until they become second nature.
But, let’s be honest, repeating them day after day gets a little monotonous, right? So, maybe, we skip a day or two. And that turns into a week and, before long, that list of affirmations has disappeared from your bathroom mirror.
While repeating affirmations every day in front of the mirror may be the tried-and-tested way to do it, there are other little tricks to keep those affirmations front and centre throughout your day. And the more creative ways you can think of how to do that, the better.
Here are 15 suggestions to get you started.
- Find a comedian or podcaster whose approach and subject matter relates to your affirmations.
- Read your favourite personal development author and follow them on social media.
- Ask your partner or best friend to record themselves reading your affirmations aloud, substituting your name for the “I” part. Save the audio track onto your smartphone and listen to it during your commute or downtime.
- Build a playlist of songs that reinforce your affirmations.
- If you’re artistic, paint, draw or sculpt your affirmations.
- Chant or sing your affirmations while you’re exercising. If you’re not brave enough to sing them out loud, it’s okay to do it in your head.
- Use aromatherapy and list the scents that you associate with each affirmation. Choose an essential oil to burn while you think about that affirmation.
- Watch a movie or TV show that reflects your affirmations.
- Think of your favourite movie, TV or book character who most resembles the person you want to be or exudes the qualities you want to have.
- Create a Pinterest board that aligns with your affirmations.
- Build your own photo library of images that inspire you or remind you of your successes. Tack the photos over your desk to remind yourself of what you can do.
- Imagine your affirmations as a smorgasbord of your favourite foods. Which ones taste good, and why?
- As you go about your day, notice things that remind you of your affirmations. Write down what they are and why they triggered that association.
- You can even use your clothes as a fun way to remind yourself of your affirmations. A hat could remind you of how smart you are; a warm sweater could remind you of your warm heart; and your shoes could be a sign of how you’re striding towards success.
- Play a game of “affirmation catch” with your partner or best friend. Start by “throwing” out affirmations about each other and then turn it around so you have to think of something positive about yourself to throw out there.
I’d love to hear about any other creative ways you can think of to make daily affirmations into a fun daily habit.
Donna S. Vieira is a certified Gentle Trauma Release Practitioner and Astro-Empowerment Coach who uses her knowledge of Astrology in sessions with her clients. She’s also a published freelance travel and lifestyle writer, blogger, and editor who has traveled the globe. You can read about some of her travels at FromMyTravelBag.com. She and her chef husband, Fernando, own Globetrotters Bed & Breakfast/Gallery in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada, where they have been welcoming guests from around the world since 2002.